Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Your Children are Not Your Children

"Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday." - Kahil Gibran

Eli, your short life is not what I would have chosen for you or me or Nolan. Not even close. I would have chosen for you a quiet, joyful childhood, growing up with your brother. You would have experienced the regular childhood and adult experiences of laughter and tears, failure and success, happiness, creativity, friendship and being in love and having your heart broken - And you would have used all of those experiences as a powerful force of love to change the world.......

But I now know that you had your own contract and agreement with Life. I was right that your spirit was meant to be a force love on this earth but in a very different way. Your spirit lives through in Nolan and helps him take on and conquer the challenges in his journey in Life. You are in his smile and laughter and in his tears at night when he has cried out for you. When he says your name and points to your picture. I know he knows you.

Your spirit lives through me. In everything I do, everything I am - mothering your brother, teaching my students, working with my clients, caring for myself, my relationships with everyone. My goals and intentions for my life were set in movement with the birth of you and your brother and clarified with your death 11 days later. I work to be a force of love on this earth because of Nolan and because of you. Every day I unwrap more gifts from you and your short time on this earth. Your spirit is eternal and while my mama's heart still desires to hold your hand, hug you, kiss your face, hear your laugh, see you play with your brother, I know that you are here with me and that love continues on.

"A luminous light remains where a beautiful soul has passed."
You left this earth five years ago today. Your light is just as strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment