Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Students

One of the classes I teach ended yesterday. I cannot express how much I love this class. It is not an obviously transformational class like life coaching or hypnotherapy (I love those too!) - the class I love to teach is about writing. It's a class that is mandatory for many of the students in degree and diploma programs. I kind of fell into teaching this class and I could not be happier that it was mine to teach!

Last night, one of the students shared that she decided to dive in and start her blog during this class. YAY! Another student realized that she COULD write and expressed her desire to take the many stories her grandmother has told her throughout her life and write childrens' books with them. I love to hear these stories

And then after the class ended and everyone had left one of the students came up to say that he appreciated the class. There was an assignment that he had been resisting but when he finally bit the bullet and completed it he learned something and he wanted to share that with me. I told him that I was glad to hear that. He went on to say that he knew my name was Piperlyne even though he had used the names Pippy Longstocking and Pollyanna when referring to me. I laughed and told him that it was not the first time someone had used those names with me and that if he had called me that I did not even notice it. He said no that he never called me that to my face but he used those names when he talked about me. He said he was sorry for that. I thanked him for his apology and said not to worry, all is good. He shook my hand and left.

Now I know that my response might be strange but I got into my car smiling and filled with happiness - for a number of reasons. First, out of all the names he could have chosen for me he choose two very independent little girls filled with the adventure of life and doing what they felt was right even if the rest of the world did not agree. - I am good with that comparison. Second, he felt so uncomfortable with his negative thoughts of me that he needed to apologize to me for them. This experience means the world to me and I was honored that he was so moved to apologize like that. He did not have to. I would have never known the difference.

Just when you least expect it, life gives you a gift in very unusual wrapping. But if you take the time to open it, it might just be one of the best gifts you have gotten all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment